Lord Shani has a very special place amongst the planets because it affects the lives of people the longest. Although most people consider this planet as cruel and troublesome, it is actually benevolent and make us free from the bonds of life and death.
About Lord Shani
- Father:Lord Sun
- Mother: Chhaya
- Guru: Lord Shiva
- Colour: Black
- Element: Air
- Metal: Iron & Steel
- Characteristic: Darkness
- Deity: Yama
- Direction: West
- Permanent Home: 10thHouse
- Season: Autumn
- Day: Saturday (Amavasya)
Diseases related to Lord Shani
Diseases: Cancer, Diabetes, Rheumatic, Renal & Skin diseases, Psychiatric disorders and Leprosy.
According to our epics, Lord Shani is the incarnation of the Almighty in the form of Kashyap. Shani affects human lives the most because it has the longest Mahadasha period, i.e., 19 years. Also, it transits over one sign for two-and-a-half years and is the Lord of the 10th and 11th House in the natural Zodiac– the Houses of karma and justice. So, being the lord of these houses in the horoscope of Kalpurush, it justifies our karmas.
Here is what you can do to get rid of Shani’s influence, if it is uncomfortably placed in your horoscope and is giving trouble:
- Chant the following mantra on waking up in the morning: “Om sham shanishcharya nameh”
- Perform telabhishek (bathing Shani idol with oil)at Shani temple and light a lamp of seasame oil under a peepal tree on Saturdays.
- Take bath after rubbing the body with mustard oil and put black collyrium in the eyes at the time of going to bed on Saturdays.
- Keep a fast on Saturdays and offer black gram and jaggery to lord Shani and then distribute it with among people.
- Offer coconut to Lord Shani on ‘Shani Amavasya’.
- Avoid smoking, non-vegetarian food and sexual relations outside marriage.
- Serve your parents. Pay respect to family elders and older people of society.
- Keep female members of the family happy to prosper and attain peace of mind. Taking help of a woman in some special work brings good fortune.
- Give out alms, food, clothes and footwear to poor on every ‘Shani Amavasya’.
- Offer the objects of Shani, that is, urad, sesame, black pepper, kajal/surma, oil, black cloth, coal, iron, etc. at Shani temple on Saturdays. But don’t buy them on Saturdays.
- Chant the mantra “Om pram, preem, prom, se, shanishcharya nameh” for 108 times.
- Read Shani Chalisa every day.
- Give a portion of your own food to crows and dogs every morning and evening.
*Do consult an astrologer before doing any remedy to know if it suits you.